Tuesday, September 6, 2011

They are human too!

I was watching my favourite station over the weekend (ZTV) and saw snippets of a live performance at one gala by Sulumani Chimbetu. During his performance, Webster Shamu and a bunch of other ministers got on stage and joined in the routine that Sulu and his dancers were doing. It was quite hilarious, but very entertaining and I thought to myself, wow, they are having fun, just like any other normal human being would, in the same situation. It then reminded me of a clip I watched of Obama swimming with his daughters, or the show that used to be on ZTV a long time ago where they would go to the president’s house and show the first lady cooking sadza! ( WHAT? Yes, they did). And most recently, the sad loss of Retired General Mujuru showed a side of our Vice president that never crossed my mind. For the first time I actually just looked at her as an ordinary woman who lost her husband. I mean even shots of her in her home with pictures on the walls, posing with her daughters and husband, and you know what…that’s quite normal.

So where am I going with this? Ok, oftentimes we forget that the people that we look up to are human. That means that what they do is exactly what I am capable of doing and that can be two pronged. First, not to justify any wrongs, but people can make mistakes and just because they are in the limelight they seem exacerbated. Its like when we see celebrities divorcing it becomes such a big deal yet there are thousands of other divorce cases happening hourly and even more precarious situations. And then secondly, acknowledging the human nature of some of the people that I look up to just reminded me that I too could easily be that person. If Oprah came from humble beginnings and is what she is today, what more me, who I must say, had all that I wished for while I was growing up. I mean the only thing that can stop me from achieving what she did is merely the limits of my imagination. If the president eats sadza ( well so they claim) and I eat it too, then what separates us then is just passion, determination and hard work right?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah very true I remember talking to some ZANU seniors and realised ther really are just people and I kinda felt sorry for them actually.

    ReplyDelete